Sunday, April 3, 2016

10 Cloverfield Lane Review--April 3, 2016

What Is Outside?
Mary Elizabeth Winstead

Instead of fighting the crowds last weekend at the box office to go see Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Justice, I decided to give 10 Cloverfield Lane shot. The movie was directed by a fairly unknown director, Dan Trachtenberg. This drama/horror/ mystery flick was written by Josh Campbell (editor, writer, actor) and Matthew Stuecken (writer and producer). JJ Abrams produces this project.

Synopsis

John Goodman, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, & John Gallagher, Jr.
After getting in a car accident, a woman named Michelle (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) wakes up in a shelter and is being held there with two men (John Goodman and John Gallagher, Jr.). Michelle has difficulty remembering the car accident, so when she finds herself confined to a wall in a windowless cinder block room, she is terrified (like any rational person would be). She pleads to leave or to at least call her family, but Goodman's character Howard tells Michelle there is an impending danger outside the underground safe haven. Michelle is skeptical of what Howard is telling her and curious about the relationship between Howard and Emmett (Gallagher, Jr.). From there we see some intense situation and strange events play out.

My Take:

All I knew about this movie prior to seeing it was what the trailers teased (which wasn't much considerin Abrams plays his cards close to his vest) and what friends told me who had already watched Trachtenberg's film. Without spoiling anything both myself and other viewers agreed that the ending is weird. I was left scratching my head wondering what the heck I had just watched. I give this film a 6.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment